Since its prime planting time here, I started a bunch of seeds indoors on March 1.
While the seeds were growing indoors, Jake and I got the garden ready. We decided on a bed made of untreated pine boards that is 8" tall, 3' wide and 10' long. Since the bermuda grass in the yard is very weed-like and hard to kill, we put cardboard on top of the grass in the bed and covered it all in compost, topsoil, kitchen scraps and manure.
I planted 3 grape tomatoes, 3 bush beans, 5 basil, 6 bell peppers (chocolate and green) and squash. Squash can get unruly and might not work in such a small space, but I figured why not try it out. So I wouldn't forget what I planted, I wrote the name of the plants on flat rocks that I found in the yard.
Southern Texas has a very long growing season. In fact, you can have a garden all year long.
No comments:
Post a Comment